Tuesday, October 30, 2007

...because we're brothers, mom, and we kinda like each other.

October 12
Just got back yesterday from four days in another part of the country, a department called Olancho, visiting a friend. This friend, who we’ll call “Todd” just happens to be an engineer in my group, so I thought paying him a visit and staying over at his place was the least I could do for the hours of work he put in helping me transfer my topo study notes into something resembling a water system. “Todd” is a very smart guy and very cool to boot and I would have been pretty much nowhere without his help, so from that perspective the week was a good one. I also now have a much better understanding how these gravity-fed water systems will work and how to create a workable system based on only field notes—this was the key part because I did not want to have to run to an engineer every time I completed a study. The downside was the realization that there are significant problems with the water systems I am proposing to design.

At this point I have gone on three separate trips to do studies: the conduction line section of one village, the distribution network section of the same village a couple of weeks later, and the conduction line and distribution network together of the village I visited last week. Trip one of three, obviously the first study I had ever done, looked just like that once all the information was put into the program we use—I made mistakes left and right and the information made very little sense. So that one needs to be re-done. Studies two and three were a huge improvement and much more accurate (made sense and everything), which is nice, except they reveal that the proposed placement of the tubes or the storage tank (or both in one case) is just not going to work. Both these villages I have done studies in have very, very little difference between the altitude of where the water source is and the altitude where the community is located, something that’s obviously crucial to a gravity-fed system. The great part is now I know exactly where the problems begin and end so I can go to the community and say, “from this particular point XYZ we need to lower the conduction line 15 meters until we get to point ABC and from there we’re fine.” But both systems are going to need a lot more work and will not end up exactly how either community had hoped. Asi son las cosas.


October 14
Sunday at the moment and I just had confirmed something I had suspected, something that has become nearly a tradition in recent years…and that is Boston College traveling to South Bend and winning. Let’s be accurate—that happens in Chestnut Hill, too. Ok, ok, I shouldn’t kick a leprechaun when he is down. Yes, I understand that the Irish are going through a season of major growing pains, the kind to be expected when you lose major stars on both sides of the ball to the NFL or to graduation or both. Understood. But this most recent defeat is the fifth in a row between these two schools, if I am not mistaken, and possibly sixth in the last seven meetings. And included in there is a top-10 ranked, Brady Quinn-led Irish squad as well. Can we say “pattern”?! No, ND fans, the students and alumni of Boston College will have none of your, “It’s only because we lost all our stars this year—just wait until next year.” Between ND and BC, this year was just business as usual.

In Honduras news, Friday was my sitemate Gen’s birthday, so there was a little get together at her casa that included the breaded, sesame seed covered, topped with spicy mandarin sauce chicken I mentioned in an earlier entry. Good eatin’! And then Saturday night there was a fiesta in the town hall and that was a very good time, dancing with the locals. More to come.


October 18
Just confirmed plans for next week. Next Tuesday I will take a couple of buses to a town about 5 hrs away (it’s amazing this place is still in my town’s municipality) and from there I will be visiting six or seven villages I have never been to before to see what their water problems are. That will be good, I have been wanting to get out to these communities for awhile but never had the means. Now I have been introduced to a gentleman who works with the Centro de Salud here in Victoria who spends a lot of his time out where I am going next week, so he’ll be showing me around. The whole thing should take around three or four days which means I should come back by Friday or Saturday.

As for the communities where I did topo studies and need to return to, that planning is still ongoing. I have been fortunate to see members of both communities so far in town this week and been able to explain what the deal is with the designs. But at this point I can not say exactly when I can return because of a couple of PC meetings that have been scheduled for November. Frustrating at the moment, I know more for them than it is for me.


October 20
Happy Birthday, Cutrone!


October 22
I have been feeling sick and have not really slept well in recent days but today decided to get up early to run anyway—actually mostly because I’ll be gone for the rest of the week starting tomorrow and won’t have a chance to run. Anyway, my headache and sore throat and stuffy nose ceased to be a burden the moment I looked at my phone…three text messages and a voicemail all telling me the same thing. SOX GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!! I had been completely in the dark and for some reason these same friends who broke the great news had disappeared earlier in the week. The last I had heard from anyone was this past Wednesday that they were down 3-1 and game 5 was in Cleveland on Thursday. And then nothing from anyone. Maybe I’m exaggerating; someone did text me on Saturday morning that Boston had won game 5. But aside from that one there were no texts or phone calls all of Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The tension was excruciating! I did not know until early this morning (Monday) that the Sox won games six and seven, too! Unreal. I know by the time I am able to get to an internet town and post this there is a decent chance the World Series will already be over, but that’s the risk you take with the rolling update, eh?! Go Sox!


October 29
It is a Monday, I am still feeling sick, and that must mean there is good news about the Sox. Congratulations to RED SOX NATION—WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS 2007!!! Was it really just last week that I had gotten word that they were going to the World Series? Yes, yes it was. Did the whole damn series take place from Wednesday to Sunday? Apparently so. Amazing, I don’t know what else to say. And I really shouldn’t try because, unfortunately, I did not see a single game of their playoff run so I have only bits and pieces from people to form a picture in my head of how things went. Man, another come-from-behind seven game ALCS followed by another World Series sweep…that’s crazy. As soon as I get to an internet town I plan on copying and pasting the recaps of every single game I missed. I may do it for Colorado’s NLCS run, too, because from what I’ve heard it sounded like they were on a tear until this week. But you already know about all of that, so I digress…

On Saturday afternoon I returned from my northern-Victoria-village-jaunt ‘07 and not in a good state. As my entry for the 22nd mentioned, I had been feeling sick even before I left but over the course of the week it got worse. The work aspect was good—I saw towns I had never seen and met with the people who know what their water scene is like, saw water sources in the middle of forests, and now have a good idea of who is ready for what. But I left sick and was in places where the elevation is three times what it is here in Victoria just as a cold front moved in to Honduras. I really do not think I saw the sun more than twice over the five days I was gone and it was cold and wet nearly everywhere I visited. Anyway, I came back on Saturday afternoon, having begun the day in a village 3 towns and 6 hrs hike away from Victoria, exhausted and shivering to the bone. I only did 2 hrs of the 6 hr hike on foot, luckily, because I was fortunate enough to be on horseback for the first three hours and then caught a bus for the homestretch which turned the last hour into twenty minutes. I had not showered in five days but the last thing I wanted was to stand under a cold stream of water. Woe is me, I know!

I will say this: my romantic notion of life in these villages has been thoroughly squashed. Although three of the four villages I spent the night in had some sort of solar plant that brought electricity to certain homes until about 9pm, many of the others that I visited during the day did not and almost none of them had latrines of any kind. Part of it is that I was not feeling so hot during the trip, but the experience definitely dragged on me. All of the people were very hospitable and generous, of course, and I did not lack for food or a bed wherever I went. It seemed like I had a cup of coffee every couple of hours during the day; with every new village I encountered there was at least one or two cups in different homes to be had. I have nothing eloquent or profound to say about this, but I still have an image in my head of the final village I stayed the night in. At dinner all seven of the family members crowd into the kitchen to eat in turns by the light of the wood burning stove, the only light and heat source in the house. And these are not malnourished, weak children either, but young men in their late teens or early twenties who have been working alongside dad in the corn or coffee fields for years, and teenage girls who are helping their mother with everything from carrying buckets of water from Lord knows how far away to cooking and cleaning for the entire household; all of them doing the kind of manual labor that would have made me shudder or cry if I were asked to do the same at their age. And still the image of life in these villages has gone from humble and peaceful to exhausting. More to come—I’m going to an internet town maƱana and need to get to bed because I’m still coughing up a lung!

2 comments:

Elyse said...

How's your lung?

Unknown said...

Dude. There's way to much to read on this page. Give it to me in a USA Today-esque info graphic. Just like all great writers (, Dickens comes to mind), you need to lower your writing standards to reach the basest of audiences.