Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Operation Hot Brother...

Hey everyone, this week I am sending the update from Sabanagrande, site of our field based training about two months ago. The first part of this week I am spending in the capital, Tegucigalpa, to check in with the powers that be in the PC office and then to hang with a buddy of mine who lives and works in the previously mentioned small town not far away. Another thing on my to-do list is get some items in the big city in preparation for the upcoming move into my very own house. The housing update has its sour and its sweet: no, the house is not ready yet (sour) but there has been significant work done on it since I last updated you all (sweet). It’s true—one day I was actually walking by and saw the owner’s mother inside directing some guys who were painting and putting screens on the windows and everything! As for the local drunks and bums passing out in front of my gate, yea that still happens but a local judge (that’s right—no courtroom here but we have a judge working in the mayor’s office) said I could just give him a call to have the police come and shoo them away (sweet). By the time I update this blog next, I will have slept in my own casa here in Victoria, I promise you that.

The work of the past week or so was fairly uneventful. A lot of waiting around and stalling and more waiting all in the hopes of using Salud’s truck and not much to show for it. Late in the week I said screw it and took a bus up to one of the sites I will be working on and met a guy who is with the Spanish NGO in town to take some altitude measurements and walk around discussing their deal. That was good, a very productive day and I was happy to have ditched the mayor’s office and be working with the NGO guys. But that covers one day and while there was the occasional meeting, maybe, it does leave something to be desired in the way of consistent work. Two weeks ago I barely had time to breathe we were going this way and that, visiting villages and doing town meetings like it was our, ahem, job. And that’s followed by a week where everyday its mañana that we’ll go, mañana that we get to business. Argh.

The free time this week did allow me to do some much needed fútbol research for you guys. As a result, here is a Team USA update: the Copa America did not go as well for our boys as the Copa de Oro did. Devotees will remember that the US won the latter tournament, winning every game it played. Well, if you’re going to be technical about it, the US finished in last place of all the teams in the Copa America. The technical argument would mention that the US was the only team to not get a single point for any of its games and that they had the worst goal differential in the tournament. A more nuanced view of the tournament (and that’s what I give you) will reveal that the US brought almost none of its well known players—no Donovan, no Ching, no Beasley, no Dempsey to name a few—and was using this tournament as a way of getting the younger players some much needed international experience. Given that fact, I think it’s hard to argue that the US’ effort in this Copa was anything but impressive. They played with an Argentina team full of its stars for a good hour before things came apart and they full on dominated a Paraguay team that is generally considered to be one of the best South American squads behind Brasil and Argentina. That domination of Paraguay did not produce much in the way of goals, of course, which is why they lost, but they outshot their opponent something on the order of 19 to 8. Overall I think things went well. I do not know what comes next but when I know, you’ll know. After all, if the so-called “Sportscenter” won’t update you on the world’s most popular sport, where else can you turn?

But the out of the ordinary news this week was the arrival to my host family’s house of many, many family members. My host parents have 8 children and all but the youngest are married and have children of their own. Two live here in Victoria, two others in different parts of Honduras, and four live in the States. This week the eldest who lives in Tegucigalpa brought her three children here to chill for the summer. Later on the son who lives in another part of Honduras came to town with his wife and two kids. That same day one of the sons who lives in New York came as well, complete with his two sons. To add to the chaos, the first night that everyone was here together the power went and the next morning we discovered there was no water either…aaahhh Honduras. It has been a good time and although the one family who lives in a different part of Honduras just left, at one point during the weekend there was something on the order of ten kids between the ages of 15 months and 16 years, all under one roof. Good times. No, actually it was kind of fun and my host parents are saints for letting me stay a week + past my expected departure time, taking up a room and a bed to myself when everyone else is practically sleeping on top of each other. I told them what I am telling you: this time next week I will be in my own place. Period. Si Dios quiere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you've made it to Oz, how did things go w. the Wizard?

Anonymous said...

Gene Parmesan says: No mas futbol por favor, senor. Very newsy post. Will you be able to post photos of your new digs? We are all thinking of you and hoping that soon you'll be able to start laying pipe and building reservoirs et c.

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe
from Traci, Olivia & Faith.